A number of councils across Northern Ireland look set to face demands to scrap local street signs bearing Prince Andrew’s name.
Sinn Féin is to “liaise with council officials” in a bid to remove street names linked to the disgraced Royal, while Alliance councillors have already submitted a proposal at Mid and East Antrim Council to change Prince Andrew Way in Carrickfergus.
The calls come after King Charles stripped Andrew of his royal status.
He will now be known as Andrew Mountbatten Windsor, and must leave his Windsor home Royal Lodge and move to the Sandringham estate in Norfolk.
On Friday Buckingham Palace also confirmed his association with the convicted sex offender Jeffrey Epstein has resulted in him being removed from the official roll of the peerage, meaning he has lost his Duke of York title.

There are several roads named after him in the North. These include Prince Andrew Way in Carrickfergus, Prince Andrew Park and Gardens in south Belfast, Prince Andrew Terrace in Enniskillen, and Dungannon is home to Prince Andrew Crescent.
Sinn Féin told the Irish News they will ensure action is taken so that councils in the North are not seen to be acknowledging or celebrating him.
A Sinn Féin spokesperson confirmed: “We will liaise with council officials to explore what action can be taken to ensure there is no civic recognition or celebration of Prince Andrew.”
The SDLP also supports any decision to remove his name from road sings, adding: “The SDLP believes that it is right to remove street names that were issued in tribute to Andrew Mountbatten Windsor.
“Given the very serious allegations against him commemorations and tributes are not appropriate. He has repeatedly shown that his values are unworthy of celebration.”
Mid and East Antrim councillor Aaron Skinner said he would like to see the road named after the late Queen Elizabeth II instead.
The Alliance party representative, whose party has submitted the request to council, said residents in the area had been expressing concerns over the street name for some time due to Andrew’s association with the convicted sex offender Jeffrey Epstein – Andrew has always denied wrongdoing.
Mr Skinner said he has been “inundated” with calls about the issue since news broke of the King’s decision to strip his brother of his titles.
“It’s very important to us to protect the royal heritage of Carrickfergus and keep that in place and we’re very honoured to have that, but we really don’t feel, especially in light of the actions by the palace, that it’s appropriate to have Prince Andrew (as a name),” he said.
“The title doesn’t exist any more, so we’ve submitted a motion for council officers to look at options to rename it in such a way as to maintain that Royal heritage, and we would love to see it named after, for instance, the late monarch, Queen Elizabeth II, but obviously that’s a matter for the royal household.
“So, what we’re asking for is the council officers to look at options and come back to council then with how we could rename this and what we could rename it to.”
Mr Skinner said he hoped there would be unanimous political backing within the council, for a change.
“We’ve had correspondence around this for years now (from residents), certainly before I was in council, but over the last number of weeks it’s really ramped up as the palace have begun taking actions. And certainly the last 24 hours we’ve been inundated.”
DUP Leader Gavin Robinson MP said: “The monarchy commands deep respect and affection across our nation, but with that comes responsibility and accountability.
“The decision to remove titles from Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor reflects the seriousness of the issues involved and the need to maintain the integrity of the Royal Family.
“Our thoughts are with all who have suffered abuse – particularly victims of sexual abuse. Their courage in speaking out must be met with compassion and support, and as a society we must stand firmly with those who have been hurt.
“In light of these developments, we understand there will be some who wish to remove references from street and road names. In these decisions it is important that the views of local residents who live there are given pre-eminence in taking final decisions. Public recognition should always reflect integrity, respect and service.
“Our thoughts remain with His Majesty the King as he continues to lead the monarchy through challenging times.”
Councils in Northern Ireland have weighed in on how the street re-naming process would work.
A spokesperson for Mid and East Antrim Borough Council said any proposals would “be brought before the Council for consideration”.
Mid Ulster District Council said it is a matter for “Council Elected Members and any proposed change of street name would be brought through the Council for its consideration”.
Belfast City Council added any application would need a petition from residents on the street. They added: “Any application for the renaming of a street needs to be accompanied by a petition of at least one third of the residents of the street, showing an interest/support in changing the street name. This petition must indicate what name is being proposed with a second choice of street name included on the petition.
“The application with the supporting petition is then presented to Committee and Council to seek approval to progress the application.”
Fermanagh and Omagh City Council have been contacted for comment.
{“@context”:”https://schema.org”,”@type”:”NewsArticle”,”headline”:”Northern Ireland councils facing raft of calls to ditch street names linked to Prince Andrew”,”url”:”https://www.irishnews.com/news/northern-ireland/northern-ireland-councils-facing-raft-of-calls-to-ditch-street-names-linked-to-prince-andrew-2PW2MDKYWBG3JB4W3R5V3YLX6I/”,”datePublished”:”2025-10-31T17:34:31+00:00″,”dateModified”:”2025-10-31T18:39:04+00:00″,”publisher”:{“@type”:”Organization”,”name”:”Carrickfergus Info”,”url”:”https://carrickfergus.info”}}
